Running an AWS Load Balancer on Elastigroup
In this tutorial, you will learn how to run your AWS Load Balancers (Classic or Application) on AWS’s EC2 Spot Instances with Elastigroup, using Elastigroup’s console. Applications running behind a load balancer tend to be great candidates for Spot instances with Elastigroup. With Spot instances on Elastigroup, you can achieve substantial cost savings (up to 90%) without compromising on performance or availability.
- A verified Spotinst Account.
- An AWS Load Balancer
Step 1: Open The AWS Load Balancer Creation Wizard
Login to the Elastigroup Console (console.spotinst.com) and navigate to the Creation Wizard by clicking on the Create button in the Elastigroups tab.
In the Creation Wizard select AWS Load Balancer:
Step 2: Import Instance Configuration
With Load Balancer import, you can get started quickly by importing group configuration from an existing group. Elastigroup will import instance configurations such as AMI, security groups, and VPC. For a full list of configurations imported by Elastigroup, visit our docs.
In the AWS Load Balancer window select Create an Elastigroup from an existing AWS Load Balancer. Enter the Region and Load Balancer Type of the load balancer you’d like to import, select your load balancer under Balancers and click Create.
Note: Step 2 takes the configuration of your AWS Load Balancer and uses it to create an Elastigroup. This does not affect your existing AWS Load Balancer in any way.
Once you’ve selected an ASG to import configuration from, click on ‘Create’
Step 3: Review and Create
The Creation Wizard prepares a json template to launch an Elastigroup with your load balancer configuration. All that’s left to do is click Create!
You have now learned how to create an Elastigroup from an AWS Auto Scaling Group, letting you:
- Cut your costs by up to 80%, while maintaining high availability
- Run Spot instances behind a load-balancer with zero overhead, the Spotinst Elastigroup platform manages your Spot infrastructure including graceful terminations and instance replacements behind the scenes.
You’re now in the Elastigroup Manager view, where you can review, manage and monitor your running Elastigroup.
- Customize your Elastigroup Configurations: The Creation Wizard gives you all the tools you need to customize the configuration of your load balancer’s deployment on Elastigroup. Click here to learn more about configuring your deployment in the Creation Wizard.
- Learn about our full list of supported Service Integrations: Potential savings can be found in Auto Scaling Groups, Cluster Management, CI/CD and more! Click here for our full list of supported Service Integrations
- Check out our API Docs here to learn how to create an Elastigroup running your load balancer with RESTful APIs.